Da Lat: The City of Love!
Some say it is ‘The Paris of Vietnam’, whereas some say the name is an acronym of ‘Dat Aliis Laetitiam Aliis Temperiem (‘Giving Pleasure to Some, Freshness to Others’). Such is Da Lat, a beautiful place located in the South Central Highlands of Vietnam.
Da Lat is among those very few cities that have erected its own “Eiffel Tower.” It’s a beautiful place and can also be known as a lovers’ paradise. This popular tourist destination is surrounded with beautiful hills, serene beauty and mesmerizing weather. It seems as if this place is tucked silently away from the hustle and bustle of Vietnam.
Where to Go
Dalat is a perfect honeymoon destination for newlyweds and an amazing place to revive the lost romance in your life. Surrounded with cloudy mountains and having lovely people makes it the Valley of Love. While taking a walk in the valley of love you’ll be surrounded by flower gardens that add more romance to this tourist destination. Da Lat is a land rich in natural beauty and one of the most romantic places in the world. Here are some special places to see in Da Lat, Vietnam:
- Ho Xuan Huong is a beautiful lake located in the heart of the city, where you’ll find couples holding hands and strolling along the bank of the lake.
- Ho Than Tho – Lake of Sorrow – is one of the main tourist attractions and is named after a young couple who couldn’t be together and eventually committing suicide.
- Another spectacular beauty is the Hill Top Pagoda. The pagoda overlooks the lake, surrounded with beautiful flowers and sculptures, maintained exceptionally in a traditional style.
- Da Lat Market is another tourist attraction, and it is filled with local specialties like avocado, strawberry jam, fruit conserves and many more.
- Thien Vien Truc Lam Monastery has an amazing view over the dams below. It is an extremely peaceful place and one of the best spots to relax and soak in the serenity and enjoy every moment in peace.
- Pongour Falls is one of the most beautiful falls in Vietnam, and during the rainy season, this place looks heavenly.
- Since Da Lat is famous for beautifully crafted silk embroidered pictures, you can take them as souvenirs from the Central Da Lat Market.
Where to Dine
Da Lat has endless restaurants that cater to the needs of all the tourists from around the world. They offer everything from local Da Lat food to Vietnamese dishes in bars and restaurants, meeting everybody’s particular tastes and budget. Some places of note include:
- The Nhat Lien, is an small eatery open till 9 p.m. and they serve vegetarian food only. Their café is refurbished and they serve quality food and with great service. During some days of the week they also have live music.
- Cafe de la Poste has amazing French and western style cuisine which is open till 11 p.m. The food is outstanding and the service very impressive. If you are French, you’ll love this place because they have a admirable wine collection.
- Larry’s Bar, is another great place where they have live music every Friday and Saturday, and serve great pizzas. Though it is a bit pricey, you can have a fun time out here.
- Art Café is one of my favorites and it lives up to the name. They have wonderful local artistic events, group painting sessions, movie nights and amazing food all with wonderful company. What else can you ask for!
There are many eat joints that provide crazy yummy food at affordable prices. You will even find some places where they do speak English, so you won’t have a problem in this front.
Where to Stay
Accommodation depends entirely on your personal needs, and you can find anything from perfectly presentable guestrooms to large luxurious suites. You can get hotel rooms at reasonable rates during off seasons.
- Hoa Binh is one of the budget hotels available at a reasonable rates,
- Dreams Hotel is inexpensive, but has clean rooms and a very friendly staff.
- My stay was booked in the La Sapinette Hotel – it’s beautiful, with a very picturesque beauty, it is located in the heart of Da Lat. They made my stay all the more mesmerizing and worth remembering.
Some of the other accommodation options in Da Lat include The Dalat Palace Heritage Luxury Hotel, Dalat Du Parc Heritage Boutique Hotel and many more.
- Charming natural beauty, beautiful hills and good weather
- Perfect honeymoon destination
- Food is a bit pricey
- Very few local people who speak good English